SPN Salon Review


Hello y’all.

Ok, quick one. So about three weeks ago I went to SPN Salon SPN stands for "Snow’s Purely Naturelle” Salon.

I just didn’t know what to do with my hair. My hair was in knots and tangles and to be honest, I was too lazy to try to do anything by myself so I needed some TLC and pampering for my hair. I checked out a list of natural salons that would readily attend to me albeit late since I had a bit of a hard time at work that day. I had tried the Natural Hair Nation but they seemed booked when I called but I’ll tell you the reasons why I settled for SPN in a bit. I’ll tell you one of them now; no, two- since you asked.

The owner of the salon seems nice. I met her once at a hair meet up organised by Natural Nigerian and I was co-hosting; I think, if my memory serves me well, she said she had just returned recently from jand or yankee and decided SPN would prove to meet the needs starved natural babes like us would need. The second time I met her was at Perfect Trust Cosmetics at Wuse II. She complimented my hair and even asked me my opinion on a product; you see why it’s good to be good. This meetings probably happened like close to a year or more ago. The second reason I went was because the bbe that picked up the phone, seemed eager to meet me sef so I went! Lol!
Back to my story.

SPN is at some plaza on 35, Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent, Wuse II where Chloe’s Cupcake is situated. It seemed pretty small and when I got there, everyone was busy- no one was idle. Stephanie came up to meet me, asked me what I wanted to do- I wasn’t sure and the prices eh! Chineke! Straw curls and roller sets were ₦ 5, 000.00. I just didn’t have that kind of money for straw curls or roller sets. She was patient and suggested that I make do with two strand twists, keep them for a week and rock them as twist outs. I agreed but I had to wait a few more minutes before I got attended to.
A lady detangled my hair and was later joined by another lady. I got my hair washed, conditioned, washed again and then we started the twists. I asked if they could flat twist and Stephanie could so she took over my hair and in forty minutes or so I was done. We flat twisted the sides and had like a mo-hawkish middle with bangs. I paid ₦ 3,500.00 for the twists and then picked up a comb and two bands. I paid  5, 000 for everything excluding tips.

About SPN

Snow's Purely Naturelle 'SPN' was established in 2014 to provide services for women, children and men with natural hair using natural products. The focus is to deliver a professional hair service that is UNIQUE and help clients take better care of their hair by having a good hair regime- that's actually a goal on their website. The owner on their website adds "After years of going back and forth growing my hair and then relaxing it because of the challenges encountered in regular salons, I got frustrated and decided to STOP COMPLAINING AND FIND A SOLUTION."

Services 
SPN offers amongst other services, Treatments like hot oil, protein, moisture treatments,kinky braids, yarn twists, threading,Fresh locs with transitional hair, Fresh locs with natural hair, Locs with synthetic extensions, Locks Palm Rolling, (in fact all locs), protective styles with and without extensions, crochet braids, manicure, pedicure, washing and blow-drying to name a few.



What I Liked about SPN
  1. Detangling- Ooohhh, boy, did I have a good time; I must say they really tried with the detangling process. The way my hair was detangled was done with love or at least fear of the Madam or Customer. lol
  2. The way the ladies didn’t talk back anyhow like some salon girls do when you correct them on something
  3. I liked the moisturizer used on my hair although I didn’t buy it; I’m still using Natural Nigerian’s Leave in Conditioner and Essence of Ladinah’s Leave-in conditioner so I’m good. But you can get it- It had a creamy good feel without feeling sticky.
  4. The way the ladies spoke to the customers apologising for wasting their time beyond a certain period.

What I didn’t like about SPN
  1.  Conditioning - After shampooing my hair, the conditioner didn’t last 2 minutes on my head; I blinked and the conditioner was washed off. Even though it’s not a deep conditioner, I’m of the opinion that the Conditioner gives back to the hair what it may have lost with the elements (harmattan season and all) and shampooing so leave it on a bit, regardless whether or not it’s a deep conditioner.
  2. Limited knowledge- I couldn’t believe it. I asked if my hair could be stretched and they said, “You don’t stretch natural hair!” Waow! And one of the babes saying it doesn’t have hair as long as mine. Really? “Who said?” I asked and they couldn’t answer. Hian! They said heat isn’t good for natural hair. So blow drys are alright? Why do we have heat protectants, then? Continued use, I understand even for relaxed hair but... In fact, one of the babes said my hair was breaking because I was using heat. I laughed and said I hadn’t had my hair stretched out except during my wedding and the heat was so low, it felt like cool air- NATMANE styled my hair for my wedding and it was amazing! It would have been better if they had said they don’t stretch out natural hair there than say that. This was the same thing Natural Hair Nation told me...Natural hair stylists need more enlightenment in this area. At least I know where NOT to go to when I need my hair carefully and professionally stretched out.
  3. Two of the ladies detangling my hair were talking over my head about how late it was, “I’m not staying oh”, “No, you stay”, “No, I can’t o”, “Who go carry me go house” etc. I had to ask that if it was so late why did they allow me in? They could have said they were closed and not have this discussion over my head.
  4. The rest room was not very neat- I think it should be in order especially when a customer may need to use it. I know due to space, the cleaning equipment is stored there but it would have been better to properly put it in a corner than everywhere- maybe just that day, it was scattered.
  5. When my hair was initially twisted, there was no gel or custard put on it and I asked; I was told they usually don’t use it? Really? So the lady I saw using it had to request for it? Or did you forget? I think you should ask the customer if she would like the gel as you don’t usually twist with any of such (rolling my eyes). Even 3c hair folks add some custard or something to help with definition, talk more of mine.

All in all, I had a good experience. I rocked the hair for two weeks in twists and then the third week in a twist out. I didn’t really take pictures but Mercy took a few so I’ll just add them up here and you can see for yourself.

Will I go there again?

Oh definitely. They do flat twists perfectly, y’all.

Source; mercy's iphone
Sweet, right. This was about 5 or 6 days after I made it so not as curly. frizz is catching up

Source: Mercy's iphone
Side View...again
Source: Mercy's iphone
Back View





Source: Mercy's iphone
Two weeks after...really frizzy & in a puff


Source: Mercy's iphone
We had a smoothie close to my office. They were just setting up but should do a review.






Comments

  1. I swear,its as if u read my mind with this your post! I went there a couple of weeks back and i intend to do a review. I liked their boss as well, met her @ the salon but gaskia the staff need more training, i was also shocked when they said they don't stretch Natural Hair, me wey my shrinkage na almost 85%, i never leave my hair just like that to dry, if not it'll turn to Tangle forest. i'll do my review about them soonest. Abeg where is Natural Hair Nation?? I'm getting bored with doing my hair myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks lovely as well!i forgot to add. i may go back there for styling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very detailed review even to the restroom lol,beautiful pictures and your hair is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment